The Future of Food and Social Justice: A Youth Storytelling Project
AY 22-23 Call for Undergraduate Interns
Are you passionate about issues of food and social justice? Would you like to gain experience in audio, visual, or written forms of storytelling? Are you interested in organizing with other youth to make positive change in the world, and having fun in the process?
The Center for Regional Food Studies (CRFS) at the University of Arizona invites applicants for a one-year paid internship with “The Future of Food and Social Justice: A Youth Storytelling Project” supported by a Hispanic Serving Institution Seed Grant. CRFS will select a cohort of 10-12 interns to participate in this unique opportunity which includes training in multiple aspects of storytelling, organizing around local and regional issues of food and social justice, and collecting and documenting stories for disseminating to scholars, practitioners, and students’ communities through blogs, podcasts, and printed publications. The internship will combine mentoring from the project steering committee with peer-to-peer engagement.
- $1500 for participation during the Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters, as well as independent research during the summer of 2023 for a total of 135 hours of work (~3 hours per week)
- Students may opt to receive 3 units of credit by enrolling in FOOD 393 Internship course
- Attend Fall 2022 semester retreat (to be scheduled for one Friday afternoon in late October)
- Attend and participate in storytelling workshop series (two half day workshops in Fall 2022 – dates TBD – and three half day workshops in Spring 2023)
- Attend 2 meetings each semester (Fall 2022-Summer 2023) with student cohort and project supervisors
- Carry out independent research for a storytelling project during the summer of 2023
- Write and edit at least one story for publication by September 2023
- Currently enrolled undergraduates at UA main campus (must be enrolled through Spring 2023)
- QT BIPOC (queer, trans, Black, Indigenous, and people of color) and/or students from southern Arizona are especially encouraged to apply
How to Apply:
Complete online application available through the Google form by Friday, September 30th. Interns will be selected and notified by Oct. 15th.
General inquiries may be sent to CRFS Director, Prof. Megan Carney firstname.lastname@example.org